Skip to content

Scholars and Interns

Scholar image - laboratory

If you are interested in a temporary research or teaching appointment at Cal Poly, please contact the academic department at Cal Poly associated with your field. The department will initiate the invitation process through the appropriate Dean’s office. You may find academic departments listed under the A-Z search on the main Cal Poly website or you may contact the Cal Poly Department offices.

The International Center is here to assist you with the visa process once you have been offered a position on campus.

First Step

  • Ask your Cal Poly faculty contact or internship supervisor to contact us to request an International Visitor Sponsorship Request Form. 

  • This form will be routed to you and to your hosting department for recommendation

  • Once sponsorship is recommended the International Center will send you a link to submit a form to collect information we will need to issue your visa eligibility documents

  • Review eligibility requirements for DS-2019 issuance

If you have questions or need assistance, please email

Apply for your Visa

Follow instructions on applying for a J-1 Visa

Prepare for Arrival

Travel to the USA

Upon Arrival

Once you have arrived at Cal Poly:

Income Tax and Form 8843

J-1 visa holders are required to submit an IRS Form 8843 each year at tax time, regardless of whether any income was earned. If you were paid by Cal Poly you will also need to submit a tax return. See the Income Tax web page for information and forms.


Extending your stay?

Travel after arrival


Please notify International Students and Scholars staff if:

  • You will depart more than 30 days prior to your end date or if

  • Your J-2 dependents leave before the end date on the DS-2019