Skip to content

Social Security Card

SS Card

In order to be paid by Cal Poly, J-1 scholars and interns must have a U.S. Social Security Card. Once you have completed the arrival check-in process and your SEVIS record has been validated, you may apply for the Social Security Card. However, you should wait ten days after your arrival to the U.S. to apply to allow time for the Social Security office to receive your arrival data from Customs and Border Protection.

Complete Application Form SS-5

Complete the Application Form SS-5 provided at the Social Security Office or print it out before going to the office.
  • Question 1 of the form “Name To Be Shown on Card”- enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport:
    • First name: First name after the characters ">>" on the bottom of your passport
    • Full Middle name (if applicable): Other name/s after ">>". No not use initials unless this is how it appears on your passport.
    • Last name (surname): Name/s appearing before the characters ">>" excluding the country code.
    • Do not enter initials for any names unless this is how it appears on your passport.
  • Question 5 - check box for Legal Alien Allowed to Work
  • Question 16 - The card will be mailed to this address

Submit All Documents

Applications must be done in person. Take the following documents with you to the Social Security Office:
  • Application Form SS-5
  • Passport
  • Employment offer letter
  • DS-2019 form (fully signed)
  • I-94 (print Most Recent I-94 online)

Submitting the Application

Submit your application in person at any Social Security Office. The local office is located at 3240 S. Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo. Call (855) 207-4865 to schedule an appointment.