Social Security Card Instructions for J-1 Employees

Social Security Card Application Instructions for J-1 Employees

If you will be paid by Cal Poly, you will need a U.S. Social Security Card. If you were issued one in the past you will use this same card and number. The number stays with you for life. 

If you need to apply for a card, wait until you have arrived and completed your arrival check-in process and Cal Poly has validated your SEVIS record. Then follow the instructions below:

1.  Complete the Application Form SS-5 provided at the Social Security Office or print it out before going to the office.
  • Question 1 of the form “Name To Be Shown on Card”- enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport:
    • First name: First name after the characters ">>" on the bottom of your passport
    • Full Middle name (if applicable): Other name/s after “>>”. No not use initials unless this is how it appears on your passport.
    • Last name (surname): Name/s appearing before the characters ">>" excluding the country code.
    • Do not enter initials for any names unless this is how it appears on your passport.
  • Question 5 – check box for Legal Alien Allowed to Work
  • Question 16 – The card will be mailed to this address

2.  Take the following documents with you to the Social Security Office:
  • Application Form SS-5
  • Employment offer letter from Cal Poly
  • Original DS-2019 form
  • Passport
  • I-94 copy (Refer to this website to retrieve your I-94 electronically)

3.  Submit your application in person at any Social Security Office. The local office is located at 3240 S. Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo. Call (855) 207-4865 for hours.

Contact if you have any questions about the process.